When confronted with employee medical conditions, employers frequently walk a fine line between compassion and an increasingly complex web of federal and state laws and regulations. In this advanced seminar, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), ADA Amendments Act, Workers’ Compensation law and state sick leave requirements by learning when each law is triggered and how they overlap. For sessions running in Massachusetts, this course will also include an overview of the interplay between the laws referenced above and the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave law (MA PFML). Through the discussion of a case study, you will examine some of the common management difficulties employee medical conditions present, and explore a roadmap to navigating intricate compliance issues.
*Approximately one week before the workshop, EANE will distribute details of the specific situation to be discussed. You’re expected to come prepared to discuss how you would address and resolve the compliance issues the scenario presents.
Who Should Attend
HR professionals and managers who are responsible for managing attendance and leave of absences within their organization
Note: This is an advanced seminar. Participants must possess an understanding of the FMLA, ADAAA, Workers’ Compensation law, state sick leave requirements, and Massachusetts PFML Massachusetts attendees only). Registrants will receive a post-registration survey to confirm their knowledge, which must be completed prior to attending the program. Individuals who are interesting in attending, but do not possess the prerequisite knowledge, are encouraged to attend EANE’s seminars “FMLA Made Simple” and “FMLA Master Class| Advanced Workshop” prior to enrolling.
- Understand the overlapping requirements and responsibilities of the FMLA, ADAAA, Workers’ Compensation, state sick leave laws and Massachusetts PFML (Massachusetts attendees only)
- Identify when each law is triggered and next steps when more than one law applies
- Understand and apply compensation and benefit requirements of the law and your policies
- Understand the actions necessary to bring a regular or extended leave to a conclusion
- Discuss when employees may be terminated under the various laws
- Engage in the practical application of course content through discussion of a case study