An employee’s spouse called in this morning and requested time off for the employee due to a medial emergency because of an illness the employee has. Can someone other than the employee request a reasonable accommodation?


Yes, a family member, friend, health professional, or other representative may request a reasonable accommodation on behalf of an individual with a disability. The individual with a disability does not have to accept the accommodation, but the call from the partner would constitute a request for reasonable accommodation.

Do You Have a Hotline Question?

Learn more about the HR Hotline member benefit here.