When confronted with employee medical conditions, employers frequently walk a fine line between compassion and an increasingly complex web of federal and state laws and regulations. Small employers (those with less than 50 employees) often believe that, because the federal Family and Medical Leave Act does not apply to them, they have few legal obligations when it comes to employees’ medical needs and family obligations. Nothing could be farther from the truth!
Though the rules are different for small employers, their application isn’t any less complicated. In this advanced seminar, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the ADA Amendments Act, Workers’ Compensation law, and state sick leave requirements by learning when each law is triggered and how they overlap. For sessions running in Massachusetts, this course will also examine the interplay between the laws referenced above and the Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave law. Through the discussion of a case study, participants will examine some of the common management difficulties employee medical conditions present, and explore a roadmap to navigating intricate compliance issues.
*Registered participants will receive case study materials prior to attending the workshop. These materials must be reviewed in advance of the training, and you should come prepared to discuss how you would address and resolve the compliance issues presented in the scenario.
Who Should Attend
HR professionals and managers who are responsible for managing attendance and leave of absences within organizations with less than 50 employees
- Understand the overlapping requirements and responsibilities of the ADAAA, Workers’ Compensation, state sick leave laws, and Massachusetts PFML (Massachusetts attendees only)
- Identify when each law is triggered and next steps when more than one law applies
- Understand and apply compensation and benefit requirements of the law and your policies
- Understand the actions necessary to bring a regular or extended leave to a conclusion
- Discuss when employees may be terminated under the various laws
- Engage in the practical application of course content through discussion of a case study